Additional Sports Order Reminders
As a reminder, the addendums that were recently released say that all other requirements and guidance in the Second Amended Sports Order (from September 25, 2020) remain in effect. That order can be found here: https://bit.ly/2RWa1jh. Here are some key reminders from the Second Amended Sports Order. Please share these with your spring sports coaches since they may not have been aware of the protocols that were in place for the fall and winter:
- Participants not in the contest and coaches ARE REQUIRED to wear facial coverings* on the sidelines and to be socially distanced.
*Note: Refer to the Sports Order for exceptions for the facial coverings requirement.
- Outside of game play, players are NOT PERMITTED to have physical contact with their teammates (such as high-fives and handshakes). Coaches and other team personnel are also not permitted to have physical contact with players.
- Any spectators in attendanceARE REQUIRED to wear facial coverings and to be socially distanced.
- Family and household members should sit together socially-distanced from other individuals/family/household groups.
- Facilities/venuesARE REQUIRED to develop spectator pathways that allow for social distancing along with seating
that includes staggered rows and six-feet social distancing between groups.
- Facilities/venuesARE REQUIRED to install signage and communicate with spectators on social distancing, facial
coverings and hygiene.
- Facilities/venuesARE REQUIRED to designate a Compliance Officer who is responsible for the compliance with the
- Facilities/venuesARE REQUIRED to disinfect and clean competition and high contact areas frequently.
Spring Sports Modifications, Requirements and Recommendations
The OHSAA staff has developed sport-specific modifications, requirements and recommendations for schools when conducting interscholastic competition in spring sports. These documents have been reviewed by the Ohio Department of Health. As announced by Ohio Governor Mike DeWine on March 11, the areas highlighted in red in the documents note that the quarantine time for students exposed to someone with COVID-19 may be reduced. Please continue to work with your local health department for specifics on each individual case. Links to the spring sports documents are available here: